Terms and conditions
Terms & Conditions
*All cancellations are subject to our Cancellation policy
- Damage to vehicle You are responsible for any loss or damage to the vehicle (and related losses and fees) during the rental even if it is not your fault, subject to some exceptions. The maximum amount you must pay is the Accident Damage Excess (ADE) per incident. You can use some of the Optional Renter Protection Services to reduce or eliminate this liability.
Prohibited Use of the vehicle, you are liable for that loss or damage up to the full value of the vehicle and related losses and fees including third party losses. You cannot rely on any
Optional Renter Protections Services you may have purchased to reduce this liability.
- Prohibited use Prohibited uses that may result in full liability include incurring overhead or undercarriage damage, driving on unsealed roads, failing to safeguard the vehicle (eg. leaving keys in the vehicle) or allowing an unauthorised driver to drive the vehicle.
- Optional Renter Protection Services You may reduce the ADE by purchasing Accident Excess Reduction (AER), or eliminate the ADE by purchasing SuperCover or Maximum Protection Cover (MAX). You may also reduce the ADE for standalone damage to the vehicle’s windscreen, windows, wheels or tyres only by purchasing Glass & Tyres (G&T). However, if there is a Prohibited Use of the vehicle, you cannot rely on AER, MAX, SuperCover or G&T or any other Optional Renter Protection Service to reduce or eliminate your liability.
- Personal possessions in the vehicle Low Cost Self-Drive is not responsible for any loss or damage to you and your passenger’s personal possessions in the vehicle, even in the event of an accident or theft of the vehicle.
- Pick up You should check the vehicle for damage before you drive away and record any variations on the Vehicle Condition Report in conjunction with a Low Cost Self-Drive Staff Member. You are invited to take a time stamped photograph of the relevant pre-existing damage before leaving the rental location and show a Low Cost Self-Drive representative on return.
- Roadside assistance We provide basic roadside assistance with the vehicle. It will not cover you for assistance required for incidents that are your fault (eg. running out of fuel, lost keys or locking keys in the vehicle). You can purchase Premium Roadside Assistance Cover (PRAC) to cover these incidents. The Roadside Assistance number should be used in the event of either an accident or a breakdown.
- Return You may incur additional charges if you return the vehicle at a different time or place to that agreed with us or if it is in an excessively dirty or smelly condition. Smoking in the vehicle is prohibited. If the vehicle is returned smelling of smoke an extra cleaning fee will be levied.
- Out of hours return If we agree to you returning outside location hours, please be aware that you will be responsible for the vehicle until our staff regain possession of the vehicle when the location re-opens.
Driver’s Licence Requirements
As the renter you are required to present a valid driver’s licence at the time of pickup. You and any person driving the vehicle must be 21 years of age or over (unless approved in writing) and must hold a current drivers licence that:
-is in English or, if not in English, is accompanied by a certified English translation;
-is valid for driving the vehicle;is not a learner’s permit;
-the driver has held for at least twelve consecutive months;
-Renters from China can use a China Notarial Certificate (CNC) and is used in place of an International Driving Permit, however their original Chinese licence MUST accompany the driver as well as the CNC.
It is the customers’ responsibility to ensure the driver has the correct license and endorsements to drive the vehicle booked, no refund will be provided where the handover of the vehicle is refused due to the driver not having the correct license. Any cancellation due to not having the correct license prior to the collection date is subject to our standard terms relating to cancellation by the hirer.
|Covers vehicles up to 4.5 tonnes gross vehicle mass (GVM). GVM is the maximum allowed weight of the vehicle when loaded. The licence allows the holder to drive cars, utilities, vans, some light trucks, car-based motor tricycles, tractors and implements such as graders, vehicles that seat up to 12 adults, including the driver.
|Applies to motorcycle riders with any registrable motorcycle.
|Restricted Rider licence
|Covers motorcycles matching the LAMS (Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme) list of motorcycles of each state. Generally, this means abiding by a power-to-weight ratio and a total engine size limit. Riders must hold this licence for 12 months before being permitted to upgrade to an R-class motorcycle licence.
|Light Rigid Licence
|Covers a rigid vehicle with a GVM of more than 4.5 tonnes up to 8 tonnes. Any towed trailer must not weigh more than 9 tonnes GVM. This class also includes vehicles with a GVM up to 8 tonnes which carry more than 12 adults including the driver. A holder of a LR licence is also permitted to drive vehicles in class C.
|Medium Rigid licence
|Covers a rigid vehicle with 2 axles and a GVM of more than 8 tonnes. Any towed trailer must not weigh more than 9 tonnes GVM. A holder of a MR licence is also permitted to drive vehicles in class LR and lower.
|Heavy Rigid licence
|Covers a rigid vehicle with 3 or more axles and a GVM of more than 8 tonnes. Any towed trailer must not weigh more than 9 tonnes GVM. This class also includes articulated buses. A holder of an HR licence is also permitted to drive vehicles in class MR and lower.
|Heavy Combination Licence
|Covers heavy combination vehicles like a prime mover towing a semi-trailer, or rigid vehicles towing a trailer with a GVM of more than 9 tonnes. A holder of an HC licence is also permitted to drive vehicles in class HR and lower.
|Covers multi-combination vehicles like road trains and B-double vehicles. A holder of an MC licence is also permitted to drive vehicles in class HC and lower.
Contacts and remedies 1. You may check with our location staff at end of rental or telephone Low Cost Self-Drive at any time using the number on the back of this Rental Terms document. 2. Post rental, you may contact Low Cost Self-Drive Customer Services during office hours (using the number on the back of this Rental Terms booklet) and our team will help resolve any issues. 3. If we are unable to resolve your issue to your satisfaction, you may contact the Australian Car Rental Conciliation Service. https://www.carrentalconciliationau.com/
What is included in the rental rate
- Kilometres Your Rental Agreement may note that a per kilometre charge is applicable if a daily kilometre limit is exceeded, depending on the type of vehicle you rent or your pick up location. If a limit on distance applies, the daily kilometre allowance will be shown on your Rental Agreement. If you exceed this daily allowance, a charge may apply for the additional distance covered.
- Collision damage waiver Collision damage waiver is included in the Rental Agreement. Consequently your liability for loss of or damage to the vehicle and third party damage is limited to the Accident Damage Excess (ADE) (as shown on the rental agreement) unless there is a Prohibited Use of the vehicle in which case you may be fully liable for any loss or damage.
- Fuel Your rental vehicle is provided with a full tank of fuel. Where the tank is not full, a credit for the extent to which the tank is not full is provided. You can either return the vehicle full or pay for us to refill the tank for you at the rate shown on your Rental Agreement.
- Breakdown roadside assistance There is a basic breakdown service included in your rental to cover call outs for mechanical faults and accidents where you are not at fault
What is not included in the rental rate You have the option to add the following items to your rental for an additional charge:
• Additional driver: We will need to see their drivers licence.
• Additional equipment: Low Cost Self-Drive GPS and Child seats.
• Fuel purchase option: You may choose to pay for a whole tank of fuel in advance so you don’t need to fill the tank on return (although no refund will be given for any unused fuel).
• Half tank option: If you are only travelling a short distance, at selected locations you may choose to pay for a half tank of fuel in advance so you don’t need to fill the tank on return (although no refund will be given for any unused fuel).
Optional Renter Protection Services are available to purchase for an additional charge and can either reduce or eliminate your liability to Low Cost Self-Drive for loss or damage to the vehicle (provided there is not a Prohibited Use of the vehicle); or provide cover for other purposes depending on the services you select:
• SuperCover: You can reduce the ADE to zero and in addition you will also benefit from:
– Maximum Protection Cover
– Premium Roadside Assistance Cover (PRAC)
– Glass & Tyres Cover (G&T)
– No Young Driver Surcharge
– Fees waived in respect of: » Low Cost Self-Drive Claims Management Fee » External Damage Assessment Fee » Additional Driver Fee » Early Return Fee » Towing Fee
– the SuperCover charges not being included in the calculation of the Location Fee
• Maximum Protection Cover: You can reduce the ADE to zero and in addition you will also benefit from:
– Glass & Tyres Cover (G&T)
– Fees waived in respect of Low Cost Self-Drive Claims Management Fee and External Damage Assessment Fee
• Accident Excess Reduction: You can reduce the ADE to a lower amount as stated on your Rental Agreement.
• Glass & Tyres Cover: You can eliminate your liability for standalone damage to the vehicle’s windscreen, windows, wheels and tyres.
• Premium Roadside Assistance Cover: You can buy additional cover for the call out costs relating to incidents that are your fault, including for running out of fuel, lost keys or keys locked in the vehicle.
• Toll Cover: You can pre-pay your toll charges incurred during your rental for a daily flat fee as advised at the time of reservation. A range of fees and charges may apply to your rental (see Annexure 1 (Charges explained)). The amounts may be specified in the Rental Agreement provided to you on pick up.
We do not cover you for:
• Parking and traffic fines you incur on your trip.
• Private parking charges.
• Road tolls (unless you have purchased Toll Cover).
If we receive notices for fines and parking charges during the rental period we will give the authorities your name, address and drivers licence details and also charge a Processing Fee. Toll charges will be charged to you Directly by Low Cost Self-Drive (unless You have purchased Toll Cover), and we will also charge a Processing Fee. These charges will be applied to your Card.
• Your Rental Agreement is the document you sign when you pick up your vehicle (generally headed “Rental Agreement”) which includes a summary of your rental (e.g. length, optional services purchased and an estimate of charges to be paid). By signing the Rental Agreement, you indicate that the details in the Rental Agreement are correct as well as your acceptance of:
– the terms set out in the Rental Agreement;
– these Rental Terms including Annexures & Key Facts; and
– any Additional Terms provided, (together, the Agreement).
The Agreement is made with Low Cost Self-Drive Australia Pty Ltd, that sub-licensee (Low Cost Self-Drive or we). If the vehicle is provided by Low Cost Self-Drive Australia Pty Ltd then the Agreement is governed by the laws of Victoria Australia.
If the vehicle rental is provided by a sub-licensee then the Agreement is governed by the laws of the State or Territory in which the relevant Low Cost Self-Drive sub-licensee is situated. If any term is illegal or unenforceable, that term is severed from the Agreement and the remaining terms continue to apply.
• We are responsible to you for providing the vehicle in a safe and roadworthy condition and for replacing the vehicle in the event of breakdown, theft or accident (unless there is a Prohibited Use of the vehicle).
• You have rights against us under consumer protection laws relating to the vehicle and other goods or services we provide to you under the Agreement that we cannot exclude or limit (Consumer Law Liability).
• Except for Consumer Law Liability, we will not cover you for indirect or consequential loss, loss of profits or loss of opportunity.
• Without limiting our Consumer Law Liability, our total liability to you under the Agreement is capped at the amount paid by you to rent the vehicle.
• We are not responsible for statements made by travel agents or third party booking services as they are not our employees or agents.
• You must care for, use and return the vehicle in accordance with the Agreement and pay the amounts due. Additionally, you confirm and agree that all information provided by you including your contact details are true and correct. Please read the Agreement carefully to understand your obligations in full.
We aim to resolve all complaints and disputes amicably, within 15 business days. Further information regarding our disputes process contact:
• Low Cost Self-Drive Customer Care Team
• Monday-Friday, 9:00am to 17:00pm
Longer term rentals
Where your rental is 30 days or longer you will be invoiced at the end of each 30 day period automatically or at any time agreed with Low Cost Self-Drive. Additional funds to cover the cost of your Rental Agreement will be collected for each 30 day period.
Termination of Rental Agreement
• We reserve the right to terminate your Agreement at any time by providing 2 days written or verbal notice if:
– you have not paid an invoice or any other request for payment (whether verbal or in writing) or your Card is declined or your bank reverses the charges made to your Card and you fail to pay the amount due within 24 hours of being notified by Low Cost Self-Drive that the invoice is outstanding;
– we are required by the police or any other regulatory authority to take possession of the vehicle from you;
– the vehicle is not returned by the agreed return date;
– we reasonably believe you have materially breached, or are likely to materially breach, the Agreement; or
– we have reasonable grounds to believe there has been or likely to be a Prohibited Use of the vehicle.
• In the event of termination and/or repossession you will not be entitled to a refund of any part of the rental charges in so far as the termination and/or repossession is caused by your actions or omissions.
• We may terminate your Agreement at any time on 30 days’ notice.
• Any terms of the Agreement that are intended to apply after the termination of the Agreement, will survive including the terms in Damage and Loss on page 6.
• You agree to pay the rental rate for the vehicle, compulsory fees, fees for any optional services and other fees that may arise during your rental. Please see Annexure 1 (Charges Explained) for an explanation of these fees.
• Your Rental Agreement shows an estimate of any charges agreed to at the start of the rental (if the charges have not been prepaid). You agree to pay those charges and any other fees that arise by the end of the rental period.
Important We typically reserve an amount on your credit card (or take a deposit) at least equal to the estimated charges plus a security bond (amount is shown on your Rental Agreement). This reserved amount may be released (or deposit refunded) on return of the vehicle following payment of the rental charges. For a further explanation on the Rental Agreement charges, discuss with the location staff at time of pick-up.
• Definitions: all references in these Rental Terms to:
– “the vehicle” means the motor vehicle described on the Rental Agreement including a commercial vehicle, or any alternate motor vehicle that Low Cost Self-Drive supplies to you, whether as a replacement, upgrade or otherwise, and includes all vehicle parts, tyres, tools (supplied with the vehicle), and all other accessories or equipment in or fitted to the vehicle by the manufacturer or by Low Cost Self-Drive, such as keys, child restraint seats, GPS devices and In Vehicle Monitoring Systems;
– “4WD” means a vehicle capable of distributing power to all four wheels simultaneously by engaging 4 wheel drive mode and where the transmission has a high and low range option, but excludes an all wheel drive vehicle which in normal operation distributes power differentially to each wheel; and
– “commercial vehicle” means a motor vehicle capable of carrying goods, 10 or more passengers and can be used for industrial and agricultural purposes
Condition: It is your responsibility to check the overall condition of the vehicle at the start of the rental period and on return. We will provide a summary of any pre-existing damage on our Vehicle Condition Report on your Rental Agreement.
• Care: You are responsible for looking after the vehicle and reducing the risk of breakdown and damage by making sure there is not a Prohibited Use of the vehicle (defined below). You must also make sure you use the correct fuel and check the tyre pressures, oil and other fluids are maintained at the specified level, refilling as necessary.
• Maintenance: In the case of a long term rental (being a rental over 30 days), if the rental period spans the normal maintenance period (being the next service noted on a sticker inside the windscreen, a service indicator illuminating on the dashboard or after 10,000km – whichever comes first) You must return the Vehicle to the nearest Low Cost Self-Drive location to arrange for the vehicle to be serviced or exchanged.
Important You are responsible for returning the vehicle in the same condition as it was in when we provided it to you, subject to fair wear and tear. Our fair wear and tear guide can be found online at www.Low Cost Self-Drive.com.au/fwt. Please see the Damage and Loss section on page 6 to understand your responsibility for damage and loss to the vehicle and Annexure 3 (Damage Policy) on page 11 to understand how we will process damage caused during your rental.
Fuel: We will supply your vehicle with a full tank of fuel. Where the tank is not full, we will provide you with a credit for the missing fuel. You will need to return the vehicle with a full tank or pay for the additional fuel required to fill the tank on return at the price indicated on the Rental Agreement. If the vehicle is from the Low Cost Self-Drive Prestige, Adrenaline or Dream Collection, you must only refuel with the type of fuel specified by Low Cost Self-Drive location staff.
Key information Fuel Purchase Option
Full Tank: You might find it more convenient to pay for a full tank at the start of the rental and save time refuelling on return by taking this option (although no refund will be given for any unused fuel).
Half Tank: If you are travelling a shorter distance, it may be more convenient to pay for a half tank at the start of the rental and save time on refuelling by returning the vehicle at half a tank (although no refund will be given for any unused fuel). Please see Annexure 2 (Fuel Policy) for a full explanation of your options.
Child seats: It is your responsibility to ensure that appropriate child seats have been fitted for children travelling in the vehicle. Low Cost Self-Drive is not responsible for any fines, injury, death or other losses caused by not having child seats fitted in the vehicle or by children not being restrained in child seats fitted in the vehicle. Children that require a child seat must not travel in a vehicle from the Low Cost Self-Drive Adrenaline or Dream collection as you are not permitted to fit child seats in those vehicles.
Important You must comply with mandated seat belt and child seat restraint laws applicable to each State or Territory in Australia. Fines may be imposed by police on any occupant not wearing a seat belt or who has not fitted or properly adjusted a child seat restraint. You are responsible for checking a child seat is fitted correctly in the vehicle. You must not leave a child unattended in the vehicle
Prohibited Uses If there is a Prohibited Use of the Vehicle, we may terminate the Agreement and take back the vehicle at any time at your expense. If the Prohibited Use has caused, or contributed to, loss or damage to the vehicle, you are liable for that loss or damage up to the full value of the vehicle and related losses and fees including third party losses as explained in the Damage and Loss section on page 6.
Prohibited Uses of a vehicle are:
• you or your passengers acted recklessly or with deliberate intent to cause loss or damage to the vehicle:
• the vehicle is damaged in the following ways:
– the driver caused the vehicle to roll, tip or fall over and this has caused damage to the side and/or roof area of the vehicle;
– the driver caused undercarriage damage to the vehicle;
– a person sits or stands on the roof of the vehicle;
– the driver causes damage above the windscreen line to the front, rear or side of the vehicle including but not limited to damage caused by striking overhead or overhanging objects (such as trees and bridges or entering carparks with insufficient clearance) or securing luggage, skis or other items to the vehicle’s roof causing damage;
• the driver drove the vehicle with a flat tyre, ignored a warning light, put the wrong fuel in the vehicle or lost the keys;
• driving the vehicle while under the influence of any drug, substance or intoxicating liquor to the extent that driver’s ability to control the vehicle is impaired or where the driver’s blood level of any drug or alcohol is over the applicable State or Territory legal limit. If a person refuses or fails to provide a breath, blood or other sample when lawfully required to do so by police or as required by law, the driver is deemed to be over the legal limit;
• the fitting of objects to the interior or exterior of the vehicle that are not authorised by Low Cost Self-Drive; • failing to take reasonable precautions to safeguard the vehicle such as leaving windows open or keys in the vehicle, or failing to use the anti-theft system (if provided);
• the vehicle is used for committing an illegal or unlawful act (other than a traffic offence which does not automatically result in the loss of a drivers’ licence in the applicable State or Territory);
• the use of the vehicle by a person who was not authorised by Low Cost Self-Drive as the main or additional driver or did not meet the driver requirements in the Agreement;
• the vehicle is used on a racetrack or for racing or undertaking reliability trials, rallies or other contests;
• the vehicle is sub-rented, transferred or sold;
• the vehicle is used to carry passengers (e.g. as a taxi or car sharing arrangement) unless Low Cost Self-Drive consents in writing, or to carry cargo (except for commercial vehicles), for hire, reward or remuneration;
• the vehicle is used for hauling any goods that are incorrectly or inappropriately loaded or for the haulage of which the vehicle was not designed (including any hazardous materials, such as any gases or substances which may form explosive mixtures); or
• the vehicle is used for towing a trailer or any other vehicle, unless the vehicle has a towbar fitted by Low Cost Self-Drive, in which case you have permission from Low Cost Self-Drive to tow a trailer provided the weight and dimensions of the item being towed do not exceed the specified capacity of the vehicle (refer to the vehicle capacity guide in the following link www.Low Cost Self-Drive.com.au/vehiclecapacity
• the vehicle is overloaded with passengers and/or baggage;
• the vehicle is driven on a beach or through a flooded road or otherwise through a body of water (including but not limited to a pothole, ditch or riverbed), or natural disaster which could be avoided including fire, storm or cyclone;
• the vehicle is driven in restricted areas, including airport service roads and associated areas, or on a road notified to you as prohibited by Low Cost Self-Drive or off-road (eg. on fire trails, tracks, fields or paddocks) (unless specified in writing by Low Cost Self-Drive).
• the vehicle is driven in the following areas and the vehicle is not a 4WD:
– on unsealed roads (except for roads under repair, access roads to recognised camping or accommodation grounds (unless rented in Tasmania where a non-reducible unsealed roads excess is applicable, details can be found at www.Low Cost Self-Drive.com.au/chargesexplained or unless specified in writing by Low Cost Self-Drive));
– in the Simpson Desert, on the Strzelecki Track and the Birdsville Track;
– in Western Australia on the Tanami Track, Gunbarrel Hwy, Gibb River Road and the Bungle Bungles;
– in Northern Territory on the Oodnadatta Track, the Plenty Highway, Finke Road (between Alice Springs and Oodnadatta);
– in Queensland on Bourke Development Road from Chillagoe to Normanton, Cape York during the months from December to May inclusive, Savannah Way from Normanton to Borroloola and the Bloomfield Track;
– any other such location or region reasonably specified by Low Cost Self-Drive to you as an area or region which is prohibited.
• the vehicle is driven in any of the following areas at any time (4WDs are also prohibited): – in Western Australia on the Canning Stock Route, the Old Gunbarrel Hwy or on the Kalumburu track including but not limited to Mitchell Falls National Park;
– in Northern Territory at the Lost City in Litchfield Park, Central Arnhem Road and Arnhem Land in general, or during the dedicated wet season;
– in Queensland on the Old Telegraph Track section of the road to Cape York, Boggy Hole (Finke Gorge National Park), the Old South Road from Maryvale to Finke and Fraser Island at any time.
Important Vehicle Cleanliness: You may incur an additional Cleaning Fee or Cleaning Administration Fee if the vehicle is returned in an excessively dirty condition or with excessive odour including but not limited to:
• the smell of tobacco from smoking in the vehicle;
• dirtiness or smell caused by having an animal in the vehicle excluding registered service animals; or
• excessive dirt or mud on the exterior of the vehicle.
Important Snow Regions:
• There are special restrictions that apply when driving a Low Cost Self-Drive vehicle in an alpine region. If these restrictions are not complied with You may be responsible for any and all damage arising from the use of the vehicle in an alpine region and cover purchased will not be applicable. If you are planning to travel to the snow please check with your Low Cost Self-Drive location that the vehicle is fit for purpose and whether snow chains are required.
• You must ensure that they comply with any legal requirements relating to fitment of snow chains and that they fit snow chains correctly. Failure to do so will be considered a prohibited use and You will be fully liable for any resulting damage. Renters must at all times ensure plastic hub caps are removed prior to fitting snow chains. Snow chains must be tightened after 50m to avoid damage to the rims and to put the hub caps back on the vehicle when the chains are removed.
Important Sensors: • Drivers are responsible for damage to the vehicle (subject to these terms and conditions). In the event that the sensors are not active or are malfunctioning the driver is not alleviated from responsibility for the damage.
Important If the vehicle is used for a Prohibited Use:
• you are responsible for any damage or losses up to the full value of the vehicle and other fees, related losses and expenses including towing and 3rd party damage as explained in the ‘Damage and Loss’ section on page 6.
• your liability is not limited to the Accident Damage Excess (ADE);
• you lose the benefit of any Optional Renter Protection Services you have purchased; and
• we may terminate the Agreement and take back the vehicle at any time at your expense.
• As the renter You may allow other persons to drive the vehicle (except if you rent the vehicle in Tasmania) provided that you have checked that the person meets the age and licence requirements specified in this section and that they are either:
– a member of your immediate family who is permanently living with you;
– your employer, employee, fellow employee or partner and the rental of the vehicle is for business purposes; or
– a person who is contracted to perform work for you, or your employer, or an employee of a person or entity who is contracted to perform work for you, or your employer, and the rental of the vehicle relates to the performance of work; or
– any other person approved in writing by Low Cost Self-Drive.
• If a driver does not meet the above requirements, they must be added to the rental as an additional driver and must show us their licence. An Additional Driver Fee is payable.
• You and any person driving the vehicle must be 21 years of age or over (unless approved beforehand in writing by Low Cost Self-Drive) and must hold and present a current drivers licence that:
– is in English or, if not in English, is accompanied by a certified English translation;
– is valid for driving the vehicle;
– is not a learner’s permit;
– the driver has held for at least twelve consecutive months;
– the driver has held for at least 3 years when rented in Tasmania; and
– satisfies any other conditions on the Rental Agreement or in any Additional Terms.
• If the vehicle is rented in Tasmania, you must not allow any other person to drive the vehicle unless they have been added as an additional driver and presented a valid drivers’ licence at the nearest Low Cost Self-Drive location.
Foreign and Interstate Licences If you are currently living in Victoria you are only permitted to drive on an overseas or interstate licence for a period of 6 months (from first arriving in Victoria). After 6 months you are only permitted to drive on a Victorian licence. It is your responsibility to ensure that you hold the correct licence.
First Time Renters If you are a first time renter paying with a debit or credit card, live in the city of rental and your booking is not associated with a corporate account or insurance replacement rental, additional identification and payment requirements will apply to your rental. In such cases, renters will be required to fulfil the 100 points identity (ID) check requirements and provide a credit card from which Low Cost Self-Drive will take a $500 authorisation Documentation as set out in the checklist below will be accepted. You must provide:
• documents that add up to a minimum of 100 points;
• at least one primary document; and
• at least one proof of identity document that contains your current address.
Category A: Primary Documents
• Current Drivers Licence (70 points)
• Australian Passport – current or expired within past 2 years (70 points)
• Birth certificate (70 points)
• Australian citizenship certificate (70 points)
• Tertiary Student Card: with photo (40 points)
Category B: Secondary Documents
• Medicare card (25 points)
• Credit or debit card (25 points)
• Centrelink card (25 points)
• Utility bill less than 12 months old (20 points)
• Working with Children Check (20 points)
• Department of Veterans Affair Card (25 points)
• Australian Marriage Certificate (25 points)
• Property Lease Agreement: current address (25 points)
Vehicle Monitoring System (VMS) Our vehicles may be fitted with a VMS which can be used to open and close the vehicle and track and record the geographical location, distance and speed of the vehicle during the rental period. It can also be used to immobilise the vehicle in the event of non payment or if we have reasonable grounds to suspect the vehicle is being used for a Prohibited Use. You agree that we can track and record your location and your use of the vehicle using the VMS, which may include your personal information. Refer to Annexure 5 (Privacy & Credit Notice)
During your rental
Fines, tolls and other charges
• You are responsible for all fines, private parking charges, road tolls and other similar charges (including parking fines or charges) incurred in relation to the vehicle during the rental period. We will work with authorities for them to pass on notices of fines and parking charges to you, and we will also charge you either the Toll Administration Processing Fee or Infringement Administration Processing Fee (each a Processing Fee). If you incur toll charges during the rental, we will charge for you those tolls plus the Processing Fee (unless you have purchased Toll Cover). These charges will be processed on your Card as detailed in the Charges section on page 8.
• You have the option of purchasing Toll Cover to pre-pay a flat daily rate for your toll charges incurred during your rental, as advised at the time of reservation. For details, see Annexure 4 (Optional Renter Protection Services).
Important In addition to any fine, parking charge or toll you incur, we may also apply a Processing Fee to reimburse us for the time and costs we incur in dealing with these matters. Please refer to Annexure 1 (Charges Explained).
• Assistance: If you experience any problem with the vehicle due to mechanical failure you agree to stop driving (as soon as practicable), park the vehicle and call our roadside assistance (see Annexure 6 (Contacts)) and they will arrange help. You must not re-commence driving the vehicle unless directed to do so by the roadside assistance service. You must not move the Vehicle unless this is necessary to prevent further damage to the Vehicle or damage to other property or vehicles.
• If the vehicle is from the Low Cost Self-Drive Prestige, Adrenaline or Dream collection, you may be provided with roadside assistance from the manufacturer. The details of this service will be provided in the vehicle’s service book. You must contact the manufacturer roadside assistance service as soon as you can if:
– the vehicle breaks down;
– a warning light or message becomes illuminated or displayed in the vehicle; or
– any other event occurs which affects the performance or safety of the vehicle.
If the manufacturer roadside assistance service cannot be contacted, you must contact Low Cost Self-Drive’s roadside assistance or the customer care centre (see Annexure 6 (Contacts)).
• Cost: we will provide roadside assistance without cost to you for problems with the vehicle that were not your fault. If the problem was your fault (eg. running out of fuel, losing the keys or locking the keys in the vehicle), you will be responsible to us for the cost of providing roadside assistance and any parts provided. If you have purchased the Premium Roadside Assistance Cover, you will not pay the call out fee for roadside assistance. See Annexure 1 (Charges Explained) for charges associated with roadside assistance and towing.
• You must not allow anyone to service or repair the vehicle without our permission. Refer to Annexure 1 (Charges Explained) for more detail.
Key information Premium Roadside Assistance Cover is optional cover for roadside assistance that covers incidents where you are at fault. For full details see Annexure 4 (Optional Renter Protection Services).
Accidents If you have an accident or if the vehicle is stolen you agree to co-operate with us in any investigation or subsequent legal proceedings. You must also take the following steps:
• Notification: you must inform Low Cost Self-Drive in the event of any accident irrespective of whether it results in the vehicle being damaged or lost, or in the event of theft. You must report the accident to Low Cost Self-Drive as soon as practicable and in any event within 24 hours. In the event that you fail to notify Low Cost Self-Drive within 24 hours and Low Cost Self-Drive incurs additional costs as a result of the failure to inform then you may be charged for any additional costs reasonably incurred by Low Cost Self-Drive. Report the accident to the police as soon as you can if anyone has been injured or any property has been damaged.
• Vehicle Incident Report (VIR): complete the VIR providing the details of your accident or the theft including any third party information even if there is no damage to the vehicle. The VIR must be completed and signed by you and provided to a member of staff when you return the vehicle. Alternatively the VIR can be found online at www.Low Cost Self-Drive.com.au/vir
• Do Not Admit Fault: if you have an accident involving another vehicle, you must obtain the other driver’s name, address, telephone number, insurance company details, drivers licence number, vehicle registration, vehicle make/model and a copy of the police report if one has been created. • Further details regarding accidents are in Annexure 3 (Damage Policy).
• You must provide all information related to the accident within 48 hours of any requests made by Low Cost Self-Drive, including any papers or other documents received by you concerning the accident.
• You consent to and authorise Low Cost Self-Drive to obtain copies of police witness statements or reports made in relation to the accident or for any police charges against you.
• Low Cost Self-Drive may exercise reasonable discretion to terminate your rental of the vehicle and the accessories and not provide a replacement if the accident or theft was caused by a Prohibited Use of the vehicle. For the full list of Prohibited Uses, see page 4.
Damage and Loss
• If the vehicle is lost, stolen, abandoned or damaged during the rental (eg. involved in an accident), for each incident you are responsible even if it was not your fault (eg. other driver’s fault). This liability applies except to the extent that:
– the damage constitutes fair, wear and tear on the basis that it does not fall within the definition of “Damage” specified in the Definition of Damage Flyer found online at www.Low Cost Self-Drive.com.au/damageflyer or provided to you at the start of your rental;
– the loss or damage is directly due to our negligence or wilful default including our failure to properly maintain the vehicle; or
– the damage or loss was caused by a third party and you have complied with your obligations under the Accidents section on page 10 so that we have sufficient details about the third party and/or their insurer for us to recover the loss or damage from the third party and/ or their insurer. We may charge you the estimated damages or your applicable excess (whichever is less) per incident and once the loss or damage is recovered, we will refund you any difference owed; or
– the damages comprise of personal injuries covered by compulsory third party insurance or a statutory transport accident compensation scheme.
Incident damages If the vehicle is lost, stolen or damaged, for each incident you are responsible for:
• the loss or damage to the vehicle;
• any towing and storage charges;
• loss of rental income; and
• other losses or expenses related to the incident, up to the Accident Damage Excess (ADE) amount per incident.
Calculation of loss of rental income
• Loss of rental income will be calculated by multiplying the number of days the vehicle is unavailable to rent due to repairs or replacement by 70% of the then current daily rate of rental of that vehicle. Optional Renter Protection Services:
• If you have purchased SuperCover or Maximum Protection Cover (MAX), your liability for loss or damage of the vehicle (and other damages – see above) is zero.
• If you have purchased Accident Excess Reduction cover (AER), your liability for loss or damage to the vehicle (and other Incident Damages – see above) is capped at the reduced amount specified in the Rental Agreement.
• If you have purchased Glass & Tyres cover (G&T), your liability for standalone damage to the windscreen, windows, wheels and tyres of the vehicle is zero
Consequence of using vehicle for a Prohibited Use
• If the vehicle is used for a Prohibited Use and this caused, or contributed to, loss or damage to the vehicle, you are liable to us for that loss or damage to the vehicle up to the full value of the vehicle. You are also liable for: – the Low Cost Self-Drive Claims Management Fee and External Damage Assessment Fee if there is damage to the body of the vehicle or the Processing Fees for other types of loss or damage (eg. cleaning due to smoking in vehicle); – any towing and storage charges;
– loss of rental income; and
– other losses or expenses related to the incident.
• Your liability to us will not be limited to the ADE, and SuperCover, MAX, AER and G&T will not apply to eliminate or reduce this liability. Other Optional Renter Protection Services you may purchase will not apply to limit your liability.
• You are responsible for any third party property damage or loss arising from the Prohibited Use of the vehicle and you must indemnify us for any claim made against Low Cost Self-Drive for that damage or loss. Your liability for personal injuries resulting from the Prohibited Use of the vehicle is covered by the statutory schemes for transport accident compensation in each State or Territory, subject to the conditions and limitations of those schemes. Low Cost Self-Drive may charge any third party property damage or loss arising from a Prohibited Use to your Card provided at the time of rental.
• If the vehicle is used for a Prohibited Use, we may terminate the Agreement and take the vehicle back at any time at your expense.
Important If the vehicle is lost or damaged because of a Prohibited Use, you are responsible for:
• cost of repairs or the full value of the vehicle;
• the Low Cost Self-Drive Claims Management Fee and the External Damage Assessment Fee, or Administration Fee;
• any towing or storage charges;
• loss of rental income;
• towing and storage charges; and
• other losses or expenses related to the incident including third party costs and losses. If the Vehicle is used for a Prohibited Use, to the extent allowed under applicable law, your liability will not be limited to the ADE and our Optional Renter Protection Services will be void. For the full list of Prohibited Uses, see page 4.
Calculating and charging for damage The process set out below for calculating and charging for damage only applies if you did not purchase SuperCover or MAX. Vehicles which are lost, stolen or involved in an incident with a third party:
• If the vehicle is lost, stolen or damaged or a 3rd party is involved in the incident, Low Cost Self-Drive will charge your Card (as defined in Annexure 1 (Charges Explained)) at the ADE level indicated on the Rental Agreement, while investigating the incident and assessing the amount of the Incident Damages. After the investigation and damage assessment concludes, Low Cost Self-Drive will do one of the following:
– if Low Cost Self-Drive finds that you were not liable for the incident and Low Cost Self-Drive is able to recover the full amount from the third party then the amount charged on your Card will be refunded; or
– if Low Cost Self-Drive finds that you are liable and: » the ADE amount charged on your Card was more than the amount of the Incident Damages, Low Cost Self-Drive will refund you the difference; or » if the amount of the Incident Damages was more than the ADE amount charged on your Card, no further charges will be levied.
Vehicles which are damaged and do not involve a third party:
• If the Vehicle is damaged and no third party is involved in the incident, Low Cost Self-Drive will notify you (where a valid email address is provided) that a damage incident has been recorded and will commence a damage assessment. After the damage assessment concludes, Low Cost Self-Drive will do one of the following:
– if the assessment determines that you were responsible for the damage then Low Cost Self-Drive will charge your Card (as defined in Annexure 1 (Charges Explained)) with prior notification (where you have provided a valid email address). The amount charged will be the amount Low Cost Self-Drive has assessed as being the Incident Damages up to the ADE amount stated on your rental agreement. If there has been a breach of a Prohibited Use which has led to loss or damage then you will be liable for all costs and damages associated with the incident. This is the position even if SuperCover, Max or AER has been purchased.
Security: You are responsible for the security of the vehicle and any accessories provided and should try to minimise the risk of theft or vandalism by parking in a safe place. Always remove valuable items from sight and make sure the vehicle is locked. You must also comply with our return instructions (see Return below).
Purchase of insurance from third party If you have purchased excess waiver insurance or similar from a third party to cover your liability to Low Cost Self-Drive, you will remain liable for payment to us irrespective of whether you obtain reimbursement from your insurer.
• You are responsible for loss or damage to your or your passengers’ personal possessions in the vehicle even if it was not your fault. Your liability will not be limited to the ADE. Loss or damage to personal possessions is not covered by the MAX or AER.
• Requirements: You must return the vehicle to the return location by the date and time stated on your Rental Agreement, or as otherwise agreed with us, or additional charges may apply (see Variations below).
• Prestige/Adrenaline/Dream collection vehicles (refer to Low Cost Self-Drive.com.au for current vehicles in these categories): You are not permitted to return a vehicle from the Low Cost Self-Drive Prestige, Adrenaline or Dream collection to a location other than the one from which the vehicle was picked up (unless approved in writing by Low Cost Self-Drive). If this occurs, you must pay Low Cost Self-Drive’s costs to transport the vehicle to the correct location and loss of rental income (as described above).
• Outside Operating Hours: You may return the vehicle outside a Low Cost Self-Drive location’s opening hours with our prior agreement, in which case you must:
– Parking: lock the vehicle and park in our car park;
– Information: complete the Return Details on the back of this Rental Terms booklet and leave it in the vehicle with any other applicable documents (such as an Vehicle Incident Report Form);
– Keys: do not give the keys to anybody when you park the vehicle, even if they appear to be our employee, but put them in the location’s key box or other such place as advised by Low Cost Self-Drive location staff; and
– Lost Property: ensure you remove all your belongings when you return the vehicle to Low Cost Self-Drive. We are not liable for property left in the vehicle when it is returned to Low Cost Self-Drive. If property is found in the vehicle after you leave, we will take reasonable steps to recover and return lost property to you. You may be charged the cost of postage, delivery or courier plus the Processing Fee.
Important You will remain responsible for the vehicle, including any damage, until we regain possession of the vehicle.
• Change to time or location: If you want to change the return time or return location or arrange for us to collect the vehicle, you must call us at the number provided on the Rental Agreement. Any amendment to the agreed return arrangement is at our discretion and may involve additional charges such as the One Way Fee.
• Wrong location: if the vehicle is returned to the wrong location without Low Cost Self-Drive’s prior approval, you may be charged the One Way Fee depending on the location where the vehicle was returned.
• Early Return: In certain circumstances, an Early Return Fee may apply towards costs we incur if you return the vehicle other than at the agreed time. For example, if you have booked a vehicle for over 7 days on a special rate and you return the vehicle within 7 days.
• Your rental charges are calculated in 24 hour periods from the time shown on the Rental Agreement. If you return the vehicle late you enter into a new 24 hour period and will be charged for that and every successive 24 hour period you enter at a current, standard rate.
• To help you, we typically allow a short ‘grace period’ to return the vehicle without being charged an extra day.
• Returning to a different location may incur the One Way Fee and other charges. See Annexure 1 (Charges Explained) or ask at the counter for details.
Notification: We will check the vehicle on your return and add any additional charges that may arise from your use of the vehicle, such as for fuel or Early Return Fee. We will provide you with a revised invoice on return of the vehicle if the amount owing is different to the estimate of charges provided at the start of the rental. We will charge your Card (as defined in Annexure 1 (Charges Explained)) on return of your vehicle with the additional amounts set out in the revised invoice. As some charges can’t be finally determined on return such as the fines and tolls we receive relating to your rental or damage to the vehicle, we may recover these additional charges by charging your Card within 60 days after the rental period. We will provide notice to you of these charges by email on request or you may download the final invoice on www.Low Cost Self-Drive.com.au/receipts. If these charges are not paid (eg. credit card is rejected or invoice is not paid) for 7 days, you agree that this will be an application by you for credit. If you do not pay the amounts due to Low Cost Self-Drive under your Rental Agreement (including any credit provided to you) in accordance with this Rental Agreement, you must pay interest calculated at the rate set out in Annexure 1 (Charges Explained). Please see Annexure 1 (Charges Explained) for further information.
Repossession of the vehicle
• If you fail to return the vehicle to Low Cost Self-Drive when required under the Rental Agreement (other than due to theft or an accident), and if you fail to comply with a demand by Low Cost Self-Drive to you to return the vehicle,
– Low Cost Self-Drive may take steps to recover and repossess the vehicle where and when it is found. You authorise Low Cost Self-Drive to enter any premises owned or occupied by you in order to recover or repossess the vehicle and you agree to make all reasonable efforts to obtain the right for Low Cost Self-Drive to enter any premises to recover and repossess the vehicle; and/or
– May deem the vehicle stolen and report it stolen. Low Cost Self-Drive may then de-register the vehicle and you will be responsible for any & all loss (including third party personal and property damage associated with the vehicle).
• You will be responsible for the rental charges, loss of or damage to the vehicle (up to the full value of the vehicle), the Low Cost Self-Drive Claims Management Fee, External Damage Assessment Fee, any towing and storage charges, loss of rental income, any repossession charges incurred to recover the vehicle and other losses or expenses related to the incident.
• This liability to Low Cost Self-Drive will not be limited to the ADE, and the reduced excess under AER and the zero excess under SuperCover and MAX will not apply to reduce or eliminate this liability.
Important If you fail to return the vehicle (other than due to theft or an accident), you are responsible for our loss, damage, expenses and other fees. Any Optional Renter Protection Services you may have purchased will not apply to reduce or limit this liability.
Annexure 1 – Charges explained
Charging your card
• Low Cost Self-Drive will only accept a cash deposit on some rentals (eg. replacement vehicles booked by insurers). Even if Low Cost Self-Drive accepts a cash deposit, Low Cost Self-Drive may not have sufficient cash at the return location to reimburse you in full. A cheque will be sent within 14 business days of return of the vehicle to the address on the Rental Agreement.
• You authorise Low Cost Self-Drive to charge the Card that you provided to pay the rental charges or for the security bond, with any amount that you owe Low Cost Self-Drive under the Agreement up to 60 days after the vehicle has been returned. If the Card is not in your name, you guarantee that Low Cost Self-Drive has the authority to charge the Card under the Agreement. Providing credit
• We may provide you with credit under the Agreement by deferring payment of your rental charges for 7 days or more. If we do, we will fall within the definition of a ‘credit provider’ under the Australian Privacy Act 1988, and the Credit Reporting Code registered under that Act.
Depending on who you are and the purpose of your rental arrangement, we may provide you with commercial or consumer credit.
• If you do not pay the full balance of rental charges due on your return of the vehicle (for example, because we cannot process the payment on your credit card) you agree that this constitutes an application by you for credit because the payment of this balance will then be deferred by us for at least 7 days. We will notify you of the amount of credit and when payment is due. You agree that on the due date we may process the payment of the full amount on your card.
• Where interest is payable on any outstanding rental charges or other amounts due under the Agreement, this interest will be calculated daily from the next day after the due date up to and including the date of payment at the rate equal to Westpac Banking Corporation standard business overdraft rate plus 2%.
Charges Your Rental Agreement provides an estimate of the charges applicable to your rental. A table listing individual charges can be found at www.Low Cost Self-Drive.com.au/qr These charges may typically include the following:
Rental rate The daily rental charge noted on the Rental Agreement for each rental day unless otherwise stated in the Rental Agreement or in Additional Terms. The extra hours rate shown on the Rental Agreement is charged for each full or partial hour in excess of a full Rental Day until the amount reaches the cap on the daily rental charge.
Kilometre rate You may have limited kilometres depending on your pick up location. If a limit on distance applies, the daily kilometre allowance will be shown on your Rental Agreement and may vary based on the type of vehicle and the rental location. If you exceed this daily allowance, a charge may apply for the distance covered.
Location Service Fee Additional at certain locations (e.g. airports and off airport locations) to reflect the higher cost of providing services from there. This fee varies from location to location and can be a flat fee or percentage of charges as shown on the Rental Agreement. Young driver surcharge May apply if you or any additional driver is 24 years and under. You will be advised of the surcharge at the time of reservation.
Administration fee A percentage rate as noted on the Rental Agreement in relation to administration functions undertaken.
Vehicle registration fee Fee to cover cost of registration fees for vehicles.
Additional driver We apply a standard fee for each additional driver added to your rental. You will be advised of the surcharge at the time of reservation.
One Way fee May apply if you return the vehicle to a location different from the start location. You will be advised at the time of reservation if you are permitted to return the vehicle to a different location and if so, any applicable fee.
Delivery and collection fees May apply if you request that your vehicle is delivered to or collected from a location other than our rental location. You will be advised of the charge at the time of the request.
Optional Renter Protection Services The Rental Agreement will show if our Optional Renter Protection Services have been accepted or declined by you or are otherwise included in your rate. We also show the Accident Damages Excess (ADE) applicable to your rental (which depends on whether you have SuperCover, MAX, AER coverage selected) and the full charge for the rental period, inclusive of GST.
Optional equipment The Rental Agreement lists any optional equipment you have selected, such as baby/child seats, and NeverLost® (GPS), showing the full charge for the rental period.
Card surcharge The percentage rate as noted on the Rental Agreement of any amount charged to a Card.
Estimated rental charges Your total estimated charges lists the rental rate, discounts and applicable kilometre charges at the start of the rental excluding GST. Charges are ‘estimated’ because they exclude any potential fuel or other charges you may incur through your use of the vehicle during your rental.
Subtotal Your subtotal before any applicable fees are applied.
Total estimated rental charges Total of all estimated charges including GST.
Potential additional fees You may incur additional fees as a result of your use of the vehicle or other incidents that occur during the rental (aside from your liability for damage or loss to the vehicle). These include the following:
Refuelling price If you don’t fill up the vehicle on return and haven’t opted for FPO or Half Tank of Fuel, we will charge you a price per litre to fill the tank. The refuelling price is specified on the Rental Agreement.
Fuel Purchase Option (FPO) You have the option of paying for a full or half tank upfront at a rate per litre advised to you at the time of reservation (although no refunds are given for any unused fuel).
Low Cost Self-Drive claims management fee Fixed charge to recover our costs for dealing with damage caused to the vehicle.
External damage assessment fee Damage assessment fee charged to Low Cost Self-Drive by an external damage assessor.
Cleaning fee A charge imposed in respect of an excessively dirty vehicle which requires cleaning beyond Low Cost Self-Drive’s standard cleaning practice.
Cleaning administration fee A fixed charge to recover our costs if cleaning is performed by third party or specialised cleaners.
Infringement Administration Processing Fee The amount payable for administrative functions Low Cost Self-Drive undertakes including the payment of, or handling of any claim for, any charges and penalties, such as processing of traffic & parking fines, speeding and traffic infringements.
Toll Administration Processing Fee The amount payable for administrative functions Low Cost Self-Drive undertakes including the payment of, or handling of any claim for charges and penalties related to the use of toll road. Such as toll way use (where Toll Cover is not purchased). Breakdown or Roadside Assistance If the driver is at fault for the problem for which assistance is requested, for example, the vehicle running out of fuel, or the keys being locked in the vehicle, the charge covers the cost of providing breakdown or roadside assistance. If the driver is at fault any towing costs will be charged to you.
Towing Included in the ADE unless the driver has engaged in a Prohibited Use or is otherwise at fault.
Early return fee May apply if you did not prepay your rental charges, committed to a rental term and then brought the vehicle back early. You will only pay for the days used, but we reserve the right to make this charge to compensate us in part for our inability to rent your vehicle during the remaining time reserved for your use.
Additional rental days You may be charged an extra day’s rental at the then current rates for each 24 hour period entered into following the return time at then current rental rates, although you are allowed a ‘grace period’ of • 0 to 59 minutes late: no charge • 60 to 119 minutes late: 1/2 of daily rental charge for that vehicle • 120 minutes to one day late: daily rental charge for that vehicle Daily rental charge for that vehicle for each additional day (or any part thereof) vehicle is returned late.
Charges for and interest on amounts due If you do not pay the amounts due to Low Cost Self-Drive under the Agreement (including any credit provided to you) in accordance with the Agreement, you will be required to pay interest calculated daily from the next day after the due date up to and including the date of payment at the rate equal to Westpac Banking Corporation standard business overdraft rate plus 2%. You will also be required to reimburse Low Cost Self-Drive for its expenses and costs incurred in collecting from you the charges payable under the Agreement and in enforcing our rights.
All fees are calculated in accordance with our current rates and subject to final calculation at the end of the rental.
Annexure 2 – Fuel Policy
Fuel is not included in your rental rate. Your vehicle will be provided with a full tank of fuel or if the tank is not full, we will provide you with credit for the missing fuel and you can decide how you wish to pay for the fuel you use during your rental. You have the following options:
Buy a full tank at the start …
• Often referred to as our Fuel Purchase Option (FPO).
• If you purchase a full tank of fuel from us at the start of your rental, you will not need to refill the tank before returning and will have nothing more to pay for fuel.
• This is a good option for high kilometre journeys where you are likely to use a full tank.
Buy a half tank at the start …
• It may be more convenient to pay for a half tank of fuel at the start of the rental and save time on refuelling by returning the vehicle with only a half a tank of fuel.
• This is a good option for low kilometre journeys where you are more likely to use less fuel.
Key information Fuel Purchase Option (FPO) We charge you at the start of your rental for a full tank of fuel at a price competitive with local fuel stations. You will have nothing more to pay to us for your fuel. Please note that we do not provide a refund for unused fuel. Half tank option We charge you at the start of your rental for a half tank of fuel at a competitive price with local fuel stations and return with only half a tank of fuel. Please note that we do not provide a refund for unused fuel.
Return with a full tank …
• Return the vehicle with a full tank of fuel purchased from a local fuel station.
• This is a good option for low kilometre journeys.
Important Fuel gauges may still indicate that the tank is “full” many kilometres after it was last re-filled. To deal with this, we ask you to refill the tank within 15 km of the return location and bring your fuel receipt with you when returning the Vehicle. We ask you to present a copy of the fuel receipt to a Low Cost Self-Drive employee or leave a copy in the Vehicle. If you do not do so, we reserve the right to apply a small charge – please ask at the counter for details.
… or without refuelling
• A good option if you are in a hurry, did not take FPO or a Half Tank of fuel and do not have time to refill the tank on return.
Key information Refuelling service charge We will charge you a price per litre to refill the tank. These prices are indicated on your Rental Agreement.
Annexure 3 – Damage Policy
Your responsibility for damage to the vehicle is set out at the Damage and Loss section of the Rental Terms. This policy covers how we assess and charge for damage and how we deal with any disputes relating to damage assessed.
Checking the vehicle We will provide a summary of any damage on the Vehicle Condition Report (VCR) provided or found on the Rental Agreement at the start of your rental. Please check the condition of the vehicle when you collect it and if there is any discrepancy approach a representative and request that the Vehicle Condition Report be amended or a new report be prepared. You are invited to take a time stamped photograph of the relevant pre-existing damage before leaving the rental location and show a representative on return. We will also inspect the vehicle on your return and provide a Vehicle Incident Report (VIR) to record any new damage, which will not include any fair wear and tear.
Fair wear and tear This means “ordinary wear due to reasonable use” and includes minor scratches and chips, small dents and normal wear on tyre treads and wiper blades. Review the Definition of Damage Flyer provided at the start of your rental for more detail on what damage goes beyond fair wear and tear.
At peak times you should allow time to complete the inspection of the vehicle with our staff and agree any damage. If you don’t have time to do this or you return the vehicle when the location is closed, any new
damage will be assessed in your absence. If you have taken date & time stamped photograph of the relevant pre-existing damage, show a Low Cost Self-Drive representative.
Damage assessment and charging There are three common scenarios:
i. Damage – agreed on return For damage agreed with you on return, we will take the relevant photos, create a Vehicle Incident Report (VIR) and organise a damage cost assessment through a third party.
ii. Damage – not agreed because you are not present or you are present but disagree with the damage identification If you are not present on return, our counter staff will take the relevant photos of the vehicle, create a Vehicle Incident Report (VIR) and organise a damage cost assessment through a third party.
iii. Significant damage If the damage is significant we will create a Vehicle Incident Report (VIR), refer it to our damage assessors for evaluation and organise a cost assessment.
Damage We aim to deal with a damage assessment in a quick and practical way by using a 3rd party repair assessment system. The damage assessment will ensure that you are accurately charged the relevant damage cost assessment.
Notification and evidence of damage
We will provide you with the following documents in respect damage:
i. a system generated letter detailing the damage to the vehicle;
ii. photos of the damage to the vehicle;
iii. the Rental Agreement listing the date, time and return location and any pre-existing damage; iv. the final tax invoice/statement of charges that includes the amount charged for damage to the vehicle and other fees and losses related to the damage; v. the Vehicle Incident Report (VIR); and vi. a damage cost assessment from a repair body shop and/or the invoice for the repairs.
Charging for damage and other items We will charge your Card with the amount set out in the final tax invoice that we have sent to you within 60 days of the date you returned the vehicle. If we have charged your Card with an estimated amount or the applicable excess, and the amount of final invoice is less than the amount charged, we will reimburse you for the difference.
• Damage claims are unique and resolution time frames for each claim varies as we are required to liaise with outside parties and arrange for the repair of vehicles.
• If you wish to dispute our assessment of damage, please contact the Low Cost Self-Drive Team
Annexure 4 – Optional Renter Protection Services
We provide Optional Renter Protection Services to cover the principal risks you incur when driving the vehicle. These may be included in your rate or available as optional extra products. Key benefits, limitations and exclusions for these products are summarised below. Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) is included in your rental rate and reduces your liability to us for loss or damage to the vehicle to the amount of the applicable Accident Damage Excess (ADE or excess) (stated on your Rental Agreement) which applies to each incident of damage or loss caused except in the event of loss or damage for a Prohibited Use.
Optional Renter Protection Services We offer the option to purchase Optional Renter Protection Services which may reduce your liability for loss or damage to the vehicle which occur during the rental period or result from your use of the vehicle. Optional Rental Protection Services offered by Low Cost Self-Drive are not insurance policies and do not provide protection in the event of loss or damage arising from a Prohibited Use. Excludes infringements including traffic and parking fines, and private parking charges which will be on-charged to your Card, and Fuel.
SuperCover, MAX, AER, Glass & Tyres Your liability to Low Cost Self-Drive for loss of or damage to the vehicle SuperCover
SuperCover is an optional product offered at selected locations and gives you peace of mind for your rental by:
• Eliminating your potential liability to us to pay the ADE for loss of or damage to the vehicle during your rental by reducing the ADE to zero.
• Eliminating your potential liability to us for glass or tyre damage and removing the Young Driver Surcharge.
• Including the products and services
Maximum Protection Cover (MAX), Premium Roadside Assistance Cover (PRAC) and Personal Accident/Personal Effects (PAPE).
• Waiving the fees for Additional Driver, Early Return, Towing, Low Cost Self-Drive Claims Management and External Damage Assessment services. Maximum Protection Cover (MAX) MAX is an optional product offered at selected locations and gives you peace of mind for your rental by: • Eliminating your potential liability to us to pay up to the ADE for loss of or damage to the vehicle during your rental.
• Eliminating your potential liability for glass or tyre damage.
• Waiving the fees for Low Cost Self-Drive Claims Management and External Damage Assessment services.
Accident Excess Reduction (AER) AER is an optional product available at selected locations, which reduces your liability to us in the event of loss of or damage to the vehicle (and other Incident Damages described in the Damage and Loss section on page 11) from the ADE to the reduced amount specified on the Rental Agreement.
Glass & Tyres (G&T) G&T is an optional product available at selected locations, which eliminates your potential liability to us for standalone damage to the vehicle’s windscreen, windows, wheels or tyres only. If you do not purchase G&T, you will be charged for standalone damage to glass and tyres in accordance with the charge list that can be found via www.Low Cost Self-Drive.com.au/glasstyre.
Premium Roadside Assistance Cover (PRAC) Your liability to Low Cost Self-Drive for breakdown costs (which are your fault) PRAC is an optional product available at selected locations, which supplements the Roadside Assistance included in your rate. It provides cover for the vehicle recovery and call out costs you would otherwise be responsible for if the reason for the breakdown or call out was your fault. PRAC does not cover the cost of replacing tyres, battery or other parts.
Toll cover Pre-pay a flat daily fee to cover unlimited toll charges as advised at the time of reservation
Annexure 5 – Privacy and credit notice
How we collect our personal information We collect personal information from you when you request our services to rent a vehicle, when you pick up and use a vehicle (through an In Vehicle Monitoring System ), when you provide us with your payment details, if the vehicle is in an accident or is reported lost or stolen, when you return the vehicle and when you incur charges. We may take photographs of the vehicle when you pick it up and return it, and may operate CCTV cameras at our locations which may include images of you, authorised drivers and passengers. We may also take a photo of your person and a photo or a photocopy of your drivers licence to confirm the information provided when you request our services to rent a vehicle.
Uses and disclosures of your personal information We use your personal information for our legitimate interests and operations in connection with providing vehicle rental and related services including damage monitoring and reporting, responding to accidents and other incidents involving the vehicle, processing payments and charges, debt recovery, fraud prevention, insurance claims and credit management. We may need to disclose your personal information to our related parties, franchisees and agents, insurers, our service providers (including online), to authorities who collect toll charges, fines and other road related charges, to the police on their request, to credit reporting bodies to list commercial credit defaults on their commercial database, to our debt collection agencies and to other parties involved in an accident with the Vehicle during the rental period or your credit card provider in the event you default on the payment of any monies owing to Low Cost Self-Drive.
Vehicle If you use a CDP number (price discount) linked to a company, you agree that we may share your personal information with that company in relation to your rental.
Overseas disclosures We may disclose your personal information to third parties who are located overseas, including Low Cost Self-Drive related companies, insurance companies and our service providers such as to Low Cost Self-Drive Corporation in the United States of America.
Marketing We may use and disclose your personal information for marketing purposes. We may, with your consent, send you direct marketing by one or more methods (such as by email, text message or by post) depending on what you elect to receive and how, how you engage with us and the contact details you provide. You can opt-out of receiving direct marketing at any time by following the unsubscribe function in the message we send or, if you are a member of one of our membership programs, by updating your choices in your gold plus rewards profile www.Low Cost Self-Drive.com.au/gpr or by following the directions in our Privacy Notice.
Your credit related information We may disclose your credit information to credit reporting agencies, including if you default on making overdue payments in connection with consumer credit we have provided you that is $150 or more. We may also disclose your credit information and eligibility information to our debt collectors and other credit providers. You have the right to access on request the credit related information we hold about you, subject to certain exceptions. You can also ask us to correct that information. Our Credit Policy explains how to make and access correction requests and how requests are dealt with in connection with credit related information. Our Credit Policy explains how to complain if you believe we have not acted in compliance with our obligations as a credit provider under the Privacy Act or the Code and how Low Cost Self-Drive will handle your complaint. Our Statement of Notifiable Matters compliments our Credit Policy and explains the credit reporting agencies to whom we may disclose your credit information as well as certain rights you have in relation to your credit information (including your right to access or to seek correction of credit information we hold about you, your right to make a complaint to use and to request credit reporting agencies not to use your credit reporting information for pre-screening or direct marketing by a credit provider).
Annexure 6 – Contacts
If you need to discuss any aspect of your rental or, ultimately, are not happy with your rental experience, please contact us by email email@example.com